Thursday, May 31, 2007

Knowing They Are There

Well, we’ve been on vacation for the last few days. We went to Put-in-Bay, Ohio on South Bass Island with my parents. I took my laptop and considered writing a post, but then decided that that defied the purpose of vacation so I took a break.

My husband prefers that we take vacations on off-times. Put-in-Bay is generally jumping over Memorial Day (though this year they had rain), but we chose to go on Tuesday and leave Thursday. Most of the time, I don’t mind the fact that we go when things are slow (no lines or huge crowds to fight with a three year old), but what I miss is the chance to people watch and watch my son’s reaction to the people. I like to see families from all over the country (and sometimes all over the world) moving through tourist attractions and stores. On this vacation, we were almost the only ones at each location.

One of the things that I always look for are families like mine. I look for Caucasian families and little Asian children. Generally, I see at least one family like mine (though I never know if the children are Korean, Chinese, etc…). This trip, I didn’t see one…not even at our stop at Cedar Point. While we were driving home, I realized that I was a little disappointed.

On a day to day basis, it doesn’t really concern me if I see a family with an Asian adoptee or not. On vacations and day trips, I am always looking. I think that it gives me a feeling of companionship when I’m not on my home territory. Even if I never meet them, I know they are there.

No comments: