Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Labels


I’ve noticed that we like to put labels on everything. It’s a part of our social upbringing. We add information to a story that really isn’t necessary.

At work, one of my co-workers told me about a fairly obnoxious man who came into our office. He made a real nuisance of himself before he left. She started the conversation in a hushed voice…”This Black man came in and…”

It was not necessary to tell me that the man was Black. It wasn’t part of the story. So, why do we add it in? I’m not pointing fingers at anyone because I’m just as guilty as the next person – especially when it comes to adoption. I find myself constantly saying “so-and-so’s adopted daughter” or “her biological parents.” Sometimes, in the context of the story, it makes sense…but most of the time it’s just extra words.

When I get frustrated with other people for not recognizing adoption as a natural part of our society, I need to remember that one of the reasons is that I am constantly pointing it out to everyone around me.

No comments: