Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Race: Front and Center

I am very interested to see how the dialogue on race is shaped in the coming days. The election of Barack Obama has really brought racial issues front and center. No matter what your political leanings are, if you are a part of the Korean adoption circle, race has to matter.

If we can get past the petty bickering, this has the potential to be a moment of positive change. When I say petty, I mean the news reports where they show one man or woman making a racial remark and they play it over and over and over again. I know that people say them. I know that some people mean them and I know that some people don’t realize the insult behind the words. Pointing at these people and blaming them for all of the problems of the world won’t fix the problems. I hope that we will be able to use this opportunity to have meaningful dialogue and move forward.

No comments: