Sunday, July 13, 2008

Independence Day and Dual Citizenship

Okay, I’m a week or so late, but I’ve been working on this post in my head for awhile. The fourth of July is a big deal in my family. Partly, I think it’s because the males in my family enjoy fire and exploding things…but we females seem to be just as enthralled. We ran the whole gambit – fireworks, picnics and parades.

What does this have to do with Korean adoption? As a history major who leaned heavily towards United States history, I do tend to remember that there is a larger significance to fourth of July celebrations than just parties and explosives. I identify as a citizen of the United States. I am a naturalized citizen. I stood in the courtroom and waved my flag. My parent repeated my oath and I shook hands with the judge.

So, I am having a hard time relating to the Korean adoptees who are currently petitioning for the right to have dual citizenship in Korea. A part of me wants to sign their petition so that they can achieve what they want and be happy. However, a part of me is reluctant to sign a petition that I really don’t have any interest in. The result of my confusion is that I spend long hours talking to myself and (unfortunately) I don’t seem to be able to answer myself.

It’s not that I’m against Korean adoptees having the right to have to dual citizenship. I know other people who have dual citizenship with other countries. My dilemma is that I’m feeling crisscrossed loyalties right now. For any other petition, I won’t sign it if I don’t feel 100% confident that I agree with it and that I walk the talk. In this case, I can honestly say that I have no problem with it, but I would definitely not walk the talk.

Unfortunately, writing this post has not helped me make a decision. So, I suspect that I have more long hours of talking to myself in the near future.

For Korean adoptees who are interested in dual citizenship, check out http://goal.or.kr/eng/.

1 comment:

Third Mom said...

There's another way to look at this, from the perspective of claiming your identity rather than loyalty. People can have identities that span continents and countries - it makes sense to me that their citizenship can follow that. Perhaps thinking about this along those lines will help - and LOL many apologies if it only makes it more unclear!