Friday, August 03, 2007

A Different Kind of Reunion

This past week-end we went to our adoption agency’s annual picnic. It’s one of those things that I would never do on my own, but as a parent feel obligated to attend. I like seeing all the children running around and I love seeing how my son’s plane-mates have grown. The two little girls have grown, with my son being right in the middle height-wise – I is taller and C is shorter. Nothing has changed. Like at all adoption agency events, I was able to get some cute pictures of the three of them that I will put in my albums so that we can see how they changed over time.

My son was talking with our social worker (another reason I like to go) this time. He looked at her and said, “You were at the airport when I came.” She looked at him and said, “Do you remember that?” He nodded his head. She told him that she didn’t think he really remembered her. I explained that he’s been watching the DVD of his arrival recently, so that’s how he remembers her.

They had some Korean food there. The Korean barbecued beef (my son’s favorite) and some kimchi (not my son’s favorite). So, my son had an ethnically diverse lunch (Korean beef, a hotdog, grapes and a bag of chips).

My husband’s parents came too. They like spending the time with my son and I think they get a kick out of seeing the girls. Otherwise, they are just good sports giving up their afternoon to stand in the hot sun and watch little kids throw bean bags through an Elmo picture. My son had a blast. He talked about Grandma and Grandpa going to "the Korean" (that’s what he calls all events that have to do with Korean things). He told my mother that he saw C and I. He told her that he saw a clown with balloons and a fire truck.

All in all, it was worth it. I won’t have to remind myself of that in the future…my son will do it for me.

2 comments:

روزبه دانشور said...

I really enjoy reading your posts!
I and my wife might be future adoptive parents and I enjoy every bit of anything about adoption!
Please keep writing, you write really beautifully.
:)
Roozbeh

Cynthia said...

I am so envious that you are able to go to those picnics! Our agency is in WA and well, that's not where we are. We have tried to go to their annual Kids Day for the last 2 years, but deployments and moving hasn't made that possible. I would love to meet face-to-face with the wonderful people who helped bring our son and us together.