Friday, June 22, 2007

Three Years Ago...

Three years ago today, my son arrived from Korea. I reminded my son about it this morning. He looked a little confused. I was trying to explain that today was the anniversary of his arrival, but we’re having some problems understanding the concept of yesterday, today and tomorrow. It’s really not easy to explain and close to impossible for a three year old to truly understand. Besides, he was too excited about a picture of race cars that I brought home from work.

I had considered taking cupcakes or something like that to school today for his class, but I decided against it for two reasons. One, I’m not sure how my son is going to react to adoption when he’s older. There is a chance that he won’t want his adoption broadcasted to everyone and their second cousin – it might be more of a private matter to him. We won’t know for another couple of years. Second, I’ve been doing my best to make sure that his arrival day doesn’t become another birthday. Arrival day should be about family and our goal is to do something as a family to celebrate. My husband is desperate to buy him a toy (because he wants the toy), but I keep reminding him to stay strong.

So, we’re off to the zoo again, tomorrow. We’ve celebrated at the zoo every year so far. Next year, he can choose where he wants to go, but this year he was picking some wild locations so I chose for him. The goal has been to keep it just us (myself, my husband and my son); however, this year he demanded that my sister come as well. My son worships the ground that his Aunt C walks on. It seemed right since my sister is also adopted from Korea and then she invited my parents. So, our small outing has gotten a little bigger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was touched by your thoughtfulness on your son's adoption however I question as to why you didn't mention your own anniversaries with your parents. Being a Korean adoptee myself, my parents always acknowledged my anniversary with flowers and a card, but it was just between us as it is a personal occasion that only a select few experience, unlike birthdays.

Mo said...

I wrote about mine awhile ago, though it may have been on the blog I used to write for. I wrote that sometime in adulthood, I lost track of my own arrival day. As a child, I celebrated just the way we are celebrating with my son. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. There was a time for that and I've moved on. It's different for everyone.