Saturday, May 26, 2007

Adoption in Korea

I found an article on the washingtonpost.com about adoption in Korea. It’s all about the problems that Korea faces as they try to convince Koreans to adopt. I am hopeful that things are changing, but the more practical part of my brain wonders why people seem to think that centuries of conditioning can be changed over night.

The second part of the article is about the incentives that the Korean government is offering in order to entice people to adopt. I have to say that the more I read about these, the more worried I become. I am really worried that these incentives are going to attract the wrong kind of people - the kind of people that are more interested in the gains than the children. We’ll have to wait and see.

Link: South Korea’s Troubled Export

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hello and let you know I have been reading your blog. Thank you for your insight.

Brit Kim said...

Thank you for sharing - and look forward to reading more from your blog. Look me up on weallcomefromseoul.blogspot.com or myspace.com/britkimbech

Cynthia said...

Whenever I read about the incentives, I get a little nervous too. There are people in the world who will do things for the wrong reasons. Hopefully, it will be the boost that families need so that more babies are able to stay in Korea.